Zoe on the Booze!
Zoe had a near miss lately when she had to be treated for antifreeze poisoning after she licked a bowl that had contained some of the liquid.
Antifreeze (active ingredient ETHYLENE GLYCOL) tastes sweet so cats and dogs will often be tempted to lick or drink it. Unfortunately it causes severe kidney damage and can rapidly be fatal. Zoe's owners brought her straight away and we were able to make her sick to reduce the amount absorbed and then begin treatment.
Zoe was placed on a drip to support her kidneys and given an antidote hourly for 24 hours. The antidote to ethylene glycol is ethanol, i.e. alcohol, so Zoe was given vodka! (DO NOT try this at home!)
Fortunately she appears to have suffered no damage to her kidneys but we will continue to monitor her.
With the cold weather coming, more people will be using antifreeze in their cars so be sure to keep it well away from your pets and don't allow them to drink from any water such as puddles that may contain some as even a very small amount will cause severe damage.
This is another case were thankfully the owners were insured - it shows you however careful you are, accidents can and DO happen. Please seriously consider pet insurance. A monthly fee that you are not using is sometimes the easiest thing to cancel when times are tight BUT it can be a massive help when needed. Like all insurances though, it's one of those things that hopefully you don't need!
The dog pictured is NOT Zoe, hopefully we will have a picture shortly!